Respectable Sins~Chapter 4

The Remedy for Sin
p. 32 "I am a great sinner, but I have a great Savior." That is my only hope. That is the only remedy for my sin... (paraphrase of John Newton's words)

p. 33 ...the gospel in its widest scope, the fact that Christ, in His work for us and in us, saves us not only from the penalty of sin but also from its dominion or reigning power in our lives.

...the gospel is only for sinners. Though we truly are saints in the sense of being separated unto God, all of us are still practicing sinners.

p. 34 So the first use of the gospel, as a remedy for our sins, is to plow the ground of our hearts so that we can see our sin.

Second, not only does the gospel prepare me to face my sin, it also frees me up to do so.

I need the assurance that my sin is forgiven before I can even acknowledge it, let alone begin to deal with it.

p. 35 Why does God not count my sins against me? Because He has already charged it to Christ.
Isaiah 53:6

Third, the gospel motivates and energizes me to deal with my sin.

...the only sin that can be successfully fought against is forgiven sin.

Further, the assurance that God no longer counts my sin against me, and that in my struggles with sin, He is for me, produces within me a strong sense of gratitude for what He has done and is presently doing for me through Christ.

p. 36 Dealing with our sin is not an option. We are commanded to put sin to death.

p. 37 "My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness."~from the hymn "The Solid Rock" by Edward Mote

As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.~Psalm 103: 12
Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.~Romans 4:7-8
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.~Romans 8:1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 20, 2023

I Love Fall!