Changes

Changes. Life is so full of changes. Some changes are good; some are not so good. Then some are just good for us. Besides, if things never changed how boring would that be?!

One change in my life lately is that my fourth daughter is now in college. She was saying the day before she started school that she doesn't feel 18, that sounded too old. Well, she is 18 and I wonder where the passed 18 years have gone. I remember her finding it hard to accept the new baby in the family. She would try to sit on her, or push her out of the way so that she could get close to me. We went through a real battle of the wills when Moriah was born. Many days I told Hannah, all of 2 years old, that I was going to win! I don't know who cried more, Hannah or me!

When she was a little older she was very shy about having her picture taken. We would try to have some pictures made for the school year, and she would cry and have the saddest look on her little face. Now she loves taking pictures and acting silly for most of them!

I remember when her skin began to show white spots. The diagnosis was Vitiligo. We tried creams, but nothing seemed to help. I remember crying because my baby with the beautiful brown skin was going to lose that perfect complexion. Scripture says that God looks on the heart, not the outward appearance; I guess this was just another way of conforming me to His image. Now she is one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and outside. I wouldn't trade her loving heart for all the beautiful brown skin in the world.

Hannah is a hugger. She loves to hug! Sometimes she just needs a "mommy hug." I love it!! She never fails to come tell me good night, get a kiss and a hug, and tell me she loves me. If for some reason I go to bed before telling her good night, she reminds me first thing in the morning that she didn't get her hug. I love it!!

Now there is a boy on the scene. So far, they are acting very mature and taking things slowly. She says they are not in a serious relationship right now; if this is not a serious relationship I would like to know what her definition of serious is!!

Another change taking place is the fact that I only have one child at home for school. We have been homeschooling since 1990, 21 years! I remember days when I could hardly keep my head above the "school waters." I have been through Kindergarten 5 times! Now Moriah and I can be finished with our work together by lunch, leaving the whole afternoon for her to do homework. That leaves me with a lot of time on my hands. I knew this day would come, and now that it is here I'm not so sure I like it all that much. However, that does mean I can be free to do a lot of babysitting for my precious granddaughter!

The other significant change taking place right now is Leah's move to Louisiana. Blake received one of those job offers to which you just don't say no. They officially moved July 29. This will be a very different life for the two of them. Neither of them has ever lived away from family; they didn't even move away from home until they got married. Leah has lived away from extended family all her life, but Blake has always had his extended family next door or down the street. I pray this move is a very good thing in their lives, in many ways. The saying "absence makes the heart grow fonder" hopefully will stand true here!

The best change taking place is Amelia. She changes every day. But seeing as she is not even a year old yet, that is to be expected. I love watching her going through these changes. She is now learning to walk; next it will be talking! The change for me in becoming a grandmother has definitely been one of the best, and most welcome, changes I have ever experienced!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 20, 2023

I Love Fall!