Wedding Week

It is January 2, 2017. Moriah and Josiah are getting married in just 5 days. I know this week is going to fly by and it will be Saturday before I am ready.

As excited as I am for both of them, there is a sadness attached with Moriah getting married. She is the last of our children to leave home. The term "empy nesters" has been thrown around a lot lately, and frankly, I do not like the term. It sounds so lonely; it makes it sound like you no longer have anything to live for. Sure, our house is going to be a little quieter with no more children living here and only David and I to make noise (and we just do not make that much noise!); but it has been rather quiet for a couple of years now since Hannah got married and moved out. But this time it is different. This time there are no more children left at home.

I have to keep reminding myself that my children will still come to our house for many reasons, not just for holidays. We will still have fun family get-togethers. I will still see my girls and have special times with them. 

I think I am dreading the change way too much. I do not think I am ready to embrace the change just yet; but I probably am looking at the sad and lonely side more than I should. When our homeschool days were finished, I had a similar mindset, thinking what would I do to fill my time. Since then, there have been weeks when I longed for just one day to have a clear schedule and do NOTHING!

I plan to do nothing the week after the wedding. Then it will be back to life as usual, whatever that is going to look like with no children living under our roof; no one to ask "Are you working this week?" or "Will you be home for dinner?;"  no one to text and say "I'm going to the store. Need anything?;" no one to tell to get her things out of the washing machine; no one to steal my socks; no one to "borrow" my mascara or toothpaste; no one to leave piles of her belongings all over the house. Like I said, I am probably thinking about this way too much!

These past 2 years have been good for me and Moriah. We have been able to spend time together that we did not have when her sisters lived at home; being the "baby," she always got the short end of everything, especially my time. I can only pray as she moves on to this new phase of her life, our relationship as mother and married daughter will grow on the foundation we have built with the Lord's help and it will be a blessing in both our lives.

I really do just want to relax and enjoy the entire week and look forward to a wonderful celebration of their new life together as husband and wife. It is going to take divine strength to get through the week, though, and especially the weekend! I am not promising there will not be any tears!! But they will be happy tears!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 20, 2023

I Love Fall!