85 and Looking Good




In March, we celebrated the 85th birthday of my mother-in-law. She is one special lady. She does not like attention on herself, so the party was a  little stressful for her. However, once everyone sat down and she was able to visit with people one-on-one she was more comfortable.

Deborah and I prepared the table decorations for the party (which was a joint effort between the family she works for, Dyches Construction, and us). We decided to go with a nostalgia theme. So, we went antiques shopping, of course.

Shopping for the items we wanted was so fun for me. I found so many items that brought up memories of my own childhood and my grandparents. We also came across several items I still own! I guess some things are just timeless.


Gran has gone through a lot the last several years. She is a breast cancer survivor, which is amazing! She has issues with her heart from time to time. She does take care of herself, though. She walks regularly with a neighbor. She has a healthy diet. She still works 2 days a week. She is as active as a healthy  85 year old woman should be!

She is slowing down some though. She does not make trips up to see us like she used to do. Last year for Thanksgiving David and I met her in Macon so she would not have to drive through Atlanta. She said that was too much trouble and was not going to do the same thing for Christmas; but we would not think of having Christmas without her. So, David drove to Savannah and got her. For the return trip after Christmas, we all went so that we could see Mom and Dad, but stomach problems got in the way. But that's another story.

With the coming of Amelia and Claire, she is now a great-grandmother. She adores those 2; but then who wouldn't! She is always giving Deborah advice and asking her all sorts of questions. She did the same with me when our girls were little. Some times you just have to remember the time she was brought up in and the old ways of doing things!



My mother-in-law and I have a close relationship, which I understand is unusual for in-laws. She has been a friend, confidant, counselor and mother to me for over 30 years. I love her dearly and thank God for her. I pray we have many more years of love ahead of us!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 20, 2023

I Love Fall!