Respectable Sins-Chapter Eight

I am really enjoying this book. The title of this chapter is "Anxiety and Frustration." This should be very interesting, to say the least! I deal with these two things on a constant basis for one reason or another. So, here goes. I have a feeling this is going to hurt!

ANXIETY
Pg. 64
When Jesus (or Paul or Peter, who were writing under divine inspiration) says to us, "Don't be anxious," it has the force of a moral command. In other words, it is the moral will of God that we not be anxious. Or to say it more explicitly, anxiety is sin.

First, anxiety is a distrust of God.
When I give way to anxiety, I am, in effect, believing that God does not care for me and that He will not take care of me in the particular circumstance that triggers my anxiety of the moment.

Anxiety is a sin also because it is a lack of acceptance of God's providence in our lives.

Pg. 67
It is appropriate to pray for relief and for deliverance from whatever circumstance is triggering our anxiety, but we should always do so with an attitude of acceptance of whatever God's providential will may be and a confidence that, whatever the outcome, God's will is better than our plans or desires.

WORRY
Pg. 67
Worry is a synonym for anxiety.

Pg. 68
God honors our struggles, and the Holy Spirit will help us. The important issue is that we seek to honor God through our faith, even though weak and faltering, rather than dishonoring Him through rank unbelief.

FRUSTRATION
Pg. 69
Whereas anxiety involves fear, frustration usually involves being upset or even angry at whatever or whoever is blocking our plans.

Pg. 70
There are no events in our lives that do not ultimately come to us from the invisible hand of God, even though they come through some visible cause.

Both anxiety and frustration are sins. They are not to be taken lightly or brushed off as common reactions we have to difficult events in a fallen world. And all sin is serious in the eyes of a Holy God.

~~~~
Ouch! I knew that was going to hurt. I do have work to do. The Bible never promises conforming to the image of Christ was an easy thing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 20, 2023

I Love Fall!