My Mother's Day

We have never really made too big a deal about Mother's Day around here. I mail my mother and mother-in-law cards. The girls give me cards. David usually gives me flowers. And I cook Sunday lunch, sometimes everyone's favorite dish.

This year was a bit unusual. First of all, a bouquet of flowers was delivered on Friday. From my daughters!! I can not even begin to express how surprised I was by this! David also gave me a bouquet of flowers! (It is a good thing I love flowers!!) Rebekah, Deborah and Neal left for Croatia on Saturday, while I was hosting a bridal shower no less.

Due to a volcano eruption in Iceland in April, flights have been affected all over Europe. So, our team was stuck in Munich, Germany due to cancelled flights. By now they had been traveling almost 24 hours and had no idea when they would get to their final destination.

Leah and Blake joined us for lunch, which was a real treat. We haven't spent any time with them since their wedding. We looked at the wedding pictures on DVD after lunch. All 1000 of them! It is going to be very difficult to pick and choose the ones I want to print!

I spent the afternoon on Facebook waiting for news from the Croatia team. Nina Brackett in Krapina, Croatia where the team was heading, tried to keep us posted. Finally, her husband, Kris, and Kyle Dettman, one of the team members, decided to drive to Munich to get them. A 5 hour drive, one way!

First thing Monday morning I checked Facebook and email. Deborah had left me messages. They finally got to their host homes around 7AM Monday morning-over 36 hours after they left Atlanta, with no luggage! But at least they were safe. Thank you, Lord.

So, Mother's Day or any day, I still get quite concerned about my children (even if they are adults!). I am thankful every day for the beautiful daughters God has blessed me with. Each one is different and unique in her own way. Each one can cause this mother heartache and joy. I derive extreme pleasure watching them grow into the women God wants them to be. I ache for them when they are hurting; I get excited with them when they experience joy.

The role of the mother never ends, even when your child has left your home. The challenge is to be sure they desire to come visit from time to time! The job of being a mother isn't easy, but I wouldn't want any other job on this earth!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June 20, 2023

I Love Fall!